Also see more photos on The Back Page
In the May 2016 Issue:
Some of our stories/features
May sees the start of Summer Festivities
- Summer Festivities begin – Bandon Agricultural Show, Heineken 7s in Kinsale, Post Rás stage end in Clonakilty, the Fastnet Film Festival in Schull and Ballydehob Jazz Festival.
- The Opinion/Bandon Co-op West Cork Community Awards -honoured individuals and organisations whose contribution to the social, cultural, sporting and community life of the area makes them worthy of the title; Local Heroes. Guests included RTE presenter Mary Kennedy, newly-appointed Director General of RTE, Dee Forbes and Eoin Ryan, producer of Nationwide.
- Centenary celebrations all over West Cork.
- Bandon’s appearance took a giant step forward with the painting of the dilapidated North Main Street buildings and the provision of a car park and new planting at MUGA.
- Tidy Towns works programme started
- A glimpse of the newly-refurbished Killarney House & Gardens
- Major objections to the Castlebernard, Bandon
- Bandon received a fantastic boost with the Flood Relief Scheme
- Kinsale area – welcome news with €35 M investment at Eli Lilly.
- Skibbereen Rugby Club welcomed Chicago visitors
- RNLI in Kinsale rescue three Portuguese fishermen.
- Kate Ryan looks at packaging
- Social events from all over West Cork
- GAA stalwart Paddy Murphy, Barryroe, honoured in his own parish
- The incredible speed of sprinter Phil Healy goes viral.