CHECK OUT THE YOUR TOWN SECTION
Also see more photos on The Back Page
’The Opinion’ April 2014 Edition
- 25 Years Honouring Local Heroes
The Opinion has been honouring local heroes for the past 24 years. With the generous support of Bandon Co-op at present, it gives us great pleasure to announce that the Opinion/Bandon Co-op Silver Jubilee West Cork Community Awards takes place on April 11th in the Munster Arms Hotel. In this issue, we take a nostalgic look back over the years and reveal some of the worthy winners of this Year’s accolades.
- Friends of Deirdre O’Reilly launched a Trust during the month to raise funds for the popular lady who suffered a severe stroke, three days before Christmas.
- Planned events in memory of the late Colin Callanan of Innishannon, whose tragic death last year shocked the entire community.
- Jerry Holland, former Munster player and coach, gives his views on the province’s chances against Toulouse and on the general state of Irish rugby.
- St. Patrick’s Day Parades in West Cork – photo parade
- Countdown to the Local Elections …. we give you more details
- We look at the fluoride debate
- Engineers Ireland held an information evening on the proposed Bandon Flood Relief Scheme in Cork during the month. Major concern surrounds the Bandon Drainage Scheme that was started and came to an abrupt ending.
- Details of St. Patrick’s Day parades, Quality Hotel West Cork Rally, West Cork Drama Festival and Daffodil Day.
- Meet a very talented Polish lady Marta Lapkowska has niched a fine reputation for herself as a face-painter. Details of all, are in this issue.
- Exclusive report on the discovery of peat on Garrettstown Beach, exposed as a result of the relentless battering it received in recent months.
- Clare O’Leary … update on her expedition